People are flocking to Brookhaven, and it's easy to see why: Brookhaven is one of Georgia's newest live-walk communities, close to businesses, restaurants, and shops, with easy access to parks and recreation.
Brookhaven is the 17th largest city in Georgia with almost 25,000 households—and growing rapidly. Brookhaven has quite a diverse collection of homes, ranging from newly built to renovated mid-century.
North Brookhaven refers to the area that is bounded by I-285 to the north, the Fulton County line to the west, Chamblee to the east, and Windsor Parkway to the south. More specifically, the term describes the area that makes up the majority of District 1 of the city of Brookhaven.
From 1924 to 1965, the area was incorporated as the city of North Atlanta, which included all of North Brookhaven as well as areas south of Peachtree Road. Largely suburban in character, the area is home to various residential subdivisions, two large parks, Blackburn Park and Murphey Candler Park, and Nancy Creek PATH Trail; the historic Peachtree Golf Club, which was founded by Bobby Jones and designed by Robert Trent Jones, and top-rated public and private schools, including Marist School, Our Lady of the Assumption Catholic School, St. Martin's Episcopal School, Montgomery Elementary School, and Chamblee Charter High School.
The area also boasts two major lakes: Silver Lake (surrounded by Brittany, Cambridge Park, and Hampton Hall neighborhoods) and Murphey Candler Lake. A restaurant and retail district, located at Ashford Dunwoody and Johnson Ferry Roads, forms the commercial heart of North Brookhaven, occupying an area that was once known as Old Cross Keys, one of the earliest antebellum settlements in DeKalb County. Also located in North Brookhaven is Perimeter Summit, a commercial area that represents one-third of Perimeter Center. The city of Brookhaven has been ranked as the safest city located completely inside the Perimeter, the safest in Dekalb County, and the 10th safest in the state by Safe Home, a professional organization that reviews security systems, offers crime prevention and security tips and analyzes crime trends. The neighboring city of Sandy Springs ranks eighth in the state.
- Historic Brookhaven is the historic residential neighborhood from which the area derives its name. It has homes surrounding Capital City Country Club, many designed by a number of well-known Atlanta architects of the pre-war period.
- Brookhaven Village is the name given to the urban town center that has emerged on Dresden Drive, just east of the Brookhaven MARTA station, anchored by the Village Place and Village Park Place mixed-use developments. The village is bordered by residential neighborhoods of Ashford Park to the north and Drew Valley to the south, both offering single-family homes within walking distance of the village. The village is home to commercial establishments, residences, and offices.
- Marist School is an independent private Catholic college preparatory school located in Brookhaven. Founded in 1901, teachers average 20 years of experience. Advanced degrees are held by 84% of the faculty. The student-teacher ratio is 11 to 1, and the average class size is 18. Sports Illustrated ranked Marist #15 on its list of best athletic programs in the country. More than 80% of the school's students participate in at least one of the school's 70 interscholastic athletic teams.
- St. Martin's Episcopal School is an above-average, private, Christian School located in Atlanta, GA. It has 630 students in grades Pre-K through 8th with a student-teacher ratio of 9 to 1.
- Our Lady of the Assumption Catholic School is a private, Catholic school located in Atlanta, GA. it has 524 students in grades Pre-K through 8th with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1.
- Montgomery Elementary School is a public school located in Brookhaven, GA. It has 650 students in grades Pre K through 5th with a student-teacher ratio of 18 to 1.
- Chamblee Middle School is a public school located in Atlanta, GA. It has 814 students in grades 6th through 8th with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1.
- Chamblee Charter High School is a public school located in Brookhaven, GA. It has 1,731 students in grades 9th through 12th with a student-teacher ratio of 18 to 1.
Colleges & Universities
- Oglethorpe University was founded in 1835 and is Atlanta's only co-educational small private college, home to 1,250 eclectic and engaged undergraduates from 33 states and 38 countries. Oglethorpe is a member of the Annapolis Group and an organization of American selective liberal arts institutions.
- Georgia State University has a satellite campus for the Robinson College of Business MBA program, offering its nationally-ranked Flex MBA program in Brookhaven in the evenings.
- Blackburn Park is within walking distance from some of Brookhaven's most popular shops and restaurants as well as many family homes. With green spaces, sports fields, and trails, the park welcomes locals looking to enjoy the outdoors and hosts many events, such as Brookhaven Food Truck Nights.
- Murphey Candler Park spans 135 acres and is arguably Brookhaven's most popular park. Named after the lake that sits in the center of the land, this park has facilities for youth football, baseball, and softball. Murphey Candler also has a recreational swimming pool and plenty of spaces to picnic and hike.
Dining & Shopping
- Town Brookhaven is a work, live, play district with trendy shops, and restaurants, a grocery store, and a movie theater. Costco and LA Fitness also attract many Brookhaven locals. Whether it's running errands or meeting friends for dinner and drinks, Town Brookhaven has the amenities to ensure you have a great experience.
- Lenox Square & Phipps Plaza are considered the commercial hubs of Atlanta. Only a few minute's drives from Brookhaven, these Buckhead complexes offer everything from high-end designers and boutiques to more affordable retailers. Phipps Plaza is also home to LEGOLAND Discovery Center as well as a movie theater. World-class restaurants and cafes surround the area.